Staff Backend Engineer
São Paulo-SP, Brazil or Porto Alegre-RS, Brazil
Who We Are
In 2021, Poatek was acquired by WillowTree, an award-winning digital product
consultancy recognized as one of the fastest growing and best places to work
in the United States. Now a[ TELUS International
president-tobias-dengel), with offices across the globe, we continue to
partner with the world’s leading brands, such as the NBA, Capital One, HBO,
PepsiCo, Domino’s and more, to design, build, and transform their digital
products and strategies. We’re looking to grow our Poatek offices in Brazil
with top talent excited to collaborate with team members across the globe to
deliver innovative solutions for our clients.
Location and Flexibility
This is a hybrid role, which we’ve termed Work from Near (WFN). You’ll work
on-site from either our São Paulo or Porto Alegre office at least
three days a week and have the flexibility to work remotely for two days a
week. Our WFN culture is designed to foster in-person innovation,
collaboration, and connection with team members local and visiting from other
Poatek is hiring for an enthusiastic Staff Backend Engineer. You will be
responsible for designing and building scalable and resilient backend systems
that power our applications. Leveraging your expertise in cloud technologies,
databases, and API development, you will collaborate with cross-functional
teams to deliver robust solutions that meet the needs of our clients and
We understand our responsibility to create a diverse, equitable, and inclusive
place within the tech industry, while pushing to make our industry more
representative. Because of this responsibility, we need candidates who value
diversity and inclusion through their work, team collaboration, or mentorship.
So in your cover letter, we encourage you to reflect on diversity, equity, and
- Confidently deliver high-quality software by applying critical thinking to products, requirements, and processes
- Partner closely with clients to influence technical product decisions and business goals
- You’ll continually stay up to date with the landscape of software engineering best practices, tools, and frameworks
- Have extensive professional programming experience— we’re thinking at least 12+ years
- Understanding of various software architectures and can adapt/compose solutions to unique problems with sustainable and reusable solutions
- Help mentor and coach a project team towards shared goals and outcomes
- Navigate difficult conversations by providing constructive feedback to teams and clients
- You’ll identify obstacles to ensure quality, improve our user experience and how we build software
- Self-aware of limitations, yet curious to learn new solutions while being receptive to constructive feedback from teammates
- You’ll guide your team to understand and work through changing priorities by bringing positive energy
- Communicate and simplify complex problems in order to foster understanding across multidisciplinary teams
- Design and develop 12-factor apps that can efficiently scale in modern cloud environments.
- Work with relational and non-relational databases to design efficient data models and optimize data access.
- Design and develop APIs that are well-documented, reliable, and consumable by various clients.
- Troubleshoot problems in existing code and systems, identify root causes, and autonomously implement remedial actions.
- Have professional programming experience — we’re thinking 12+ years
- Inspire others to write code that is durable, secure, scalable, always up and running
- Have in-depth experience with one server-side programming language — such as Java, Kotlin or other JVM languages; C# or other .NET languages; Node.js; Python, Go, and perhaps a breadth in others
- Have in-depth experience working with relational and/or NoSQL databases. This could be PostgreSQL, SQL Server, MySQL, MongoDB, or another type of document-database. This includes experience with schema design, indexing, querying, and performance tuning
- Are eager to share your knowledge with teammates through mentorship, code reviews and pair programming sessions
- Have experience writing apps for Azure, AWS, GCP, CloudFoundry, Heroku, SalesForce, Mulesoft and/or other cloud providers
- Are well versed in using Cloud Provider utilities such as CLI tools and Consoles (Azure Portal, AWS Console)
- Have experience developing RESTful APIs and/or Graphql APIs
- Possess strong debugging and troubleshooting skills
- Are able to assist teammates with issues by breaking down complex tasks
- Effectively communicate system architecture and development decisions to clients and teammates
- Strong appreciation for CI/CD (e.g. CircleCI, TeamCity, AzureDevops) and experience setting up deployment pipelines
- Demonstrated leadership skills and a passion for fostering an inclusive and innovative work culture.
What We Offer:
- Be part of an innovative consultancy with a human-centered and culture with opportunities for ownership and professional growth
- Competitive salary and benefits package (annual bonus)
- Opportunity to work on innovative agile projects with other high-performing, passionate team members from all over the globe (international travel opportunities)
- Collaborative work environment that encourages continuous learning and professional development (including English classes, support in national and international courses,
- Flexible work hours and autonomy
- Voucher for health activities, food allowance, in-office snacks, drinks, and games
If you love IT as much as we do, we look forward to meeting you!
Equality is a principle here at Poatek. We are committed to building an
inclusive team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives,
beliefs, and experiences. Therefore we provide equal employment opportunities
to all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, religion, gender
identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, or disability.
We will only use the information you provide to process your application and
to produce tracking statistics. Since we do not request personal data deemed
sensitive, we ask you to abstain from sharing those information with us.